Friday, June 11, 2010

Let's Do Lunch.

I've recently decided that lunch is the hardest meal of the day for me to figure out. I never know what to have. It seems like lately, I just end up eating a peanut butter sandwich, or something totally unhealthy from our work freezer o' processed crap. I'm trying to think up some new ideas for next week in a hurry, cause latey my food intake has been ridiculous. I'm pretty sure one day I had peanut m&ms and a bag of chips for lunch. Go me.

So here's a few ideas I've found around the interwebs. I think I may try to prepare the pasta dishes in advance this weekend so it's a grab and go meal.

Italian Sausage and Veggie Pasta

Ingredients

2 ounces uncooked whole wheat pasta
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
1 precooked Italian-style chicken sausage, sliced into rounds
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped zucchini
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Make It

Cook pasta according to package directions. Heat spaghetti sauce, sausage, garlic, and vegetables for about 12 minutes, until veggies are tender. Top pasta with sauce mixture and sprinkle with cheese.

Thai Peanut Noodle Bowl

Ingredients

2 ounces uncooked whole wheat pasta
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 piece (1 inch) ginger, peeled and grated
1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
2 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables
1 tablespoon chopped peanuts
2 scallions, sliced

Make It

Cook pasta according to directions. In a skillet, saute peanut butter, lime juice, garlic, and ginger for 1 minute. Add edamame and vegetables and cook for 12 minutes until vegetables are tender; pour over pasta. Top with peanuts and scallions.

Chili and Chips

Ingredients

1 cup canned turkey or vegetarian chili
1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli
3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup crushed corn chips
Beyond these recipes I'm also thinking of making a batch of veggie soup for the week. Does anyone else have any great lunch ideas? Feel free to share!

2 comments:

  1. A whole wheat pita with leftover grilled or roasted vegetables topped with feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a ww pia filled with hard boiled eggs chopped/mashed with some dijon and lettuce and red onions. yummmm

    ReplyDelete