Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'm Back... From Outerspace... Or My Bathroom Floor. You Pick.

So, what started out as a kick ass weekend ended tragically last Friday. Muffin Top, my BFF and I all went to see Remember Me directly after work. Two fabulous hours were spent swooning over Robert Pattinson [Hey, don't judge! There are worse vices!], and by the time we left, I figured the entire weekend was going to rock. Wrong.


Yeah, when you think things are going to be great... they might not be.

Five minutes into my drive home and Mr. FGS calls. Our daughter had just thrown up her dinner everywhere. I knew right then it was going to be bad. Inevitably, if one of our kids gets the stomach flu, so do I. I must've been born pre-dispositioned to puking. If anyone even has a hint of nausea around me, I'm destined to get it. It sucks a lot.

Hey look!  It's me last weekend!

Sure enough, I woke up at midnight bolting for the bathroom, where I remained for the rest of the weekend. You know, that weekend that had started off so well. The one that was going to kick ass! Sure, "Puke Fest 2010" really helped put up impressive numbers on the scale this week, but it did nothing to help me with running. Our 5k race is looming, and I've actually felt almost too weak to walk up the stairs. Today though, I figured it was on. Have to, need to, don't want to, but I'm going to run. This is what I kept telling myself.

I'm not going to lie to you people, that run was a total bitch. At about five minutes in I thought I might die. By ten minutes, I was sure of it. I am sitting here wondering how we even made it back, because during the run I was fairly positive we never would. At one point, Muffin Top asked me if I'd drag her body away from traffic if she fainted. I don't even think I had the energy to laugh. It was that hard! [That's what she said.] Somehow though, we finished. Hell, we even took 40 seconds off of our fastest time!!!  Impressive.

If we had any energy left, this would've been us after we realized we ran faster than usual.  Except without the helmets....

I'm glad we got out there and ran. I find more and more lately that I'm amazed at what I'm capable of. The Fat Girl Slim I've always known and loved would never run two days post epic stomach flu. She'd never run in the hail. It's an odd feeling to not know yourself anymore. I kinda like it.

On a totally unrelated note, I need to wish my baby girl a Happy 2nd Birthday, and my husband a Happy 4th Anniversary. They are my motivation when I have none, and the reason I fight the good battle. I could do none of this without them!

No comments:

Post a Comment