Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Big Green Hump: Week 1

Every Wednesday on the blog, we're going to feature a new Green Smoothie recipe.  What is a green smoothie, you ask?  Simply put, it's a smoothie made with fruit, water and greens, such as baby spinach, romaine lettuce or parsley.  Barf, right?  The fruit covers up the green taste though, I swear.  I'd never be able to choke down a smoothie if it tasted like a salad. 

For starters, I have a serious aversion to all things leafy and green.  When I was in high school I ate a salad from a local restaurant that gave me a very bad case of food poisoning.  Without being too graphic and disturbing you all, let's just say that once a lot of lettuce comes up, you can't really get it down anymore.  It's been years and years since the incident, and the taste of lettuce still triggers my gag reflex like nothing else. 

I stumbled upon green smoothies when I was trying to find a way to add more fruits and veggies to my diet.  They taste great, and I notice when I consistently drink them, I feel better.  I'm sure I don't need to get into a novel about why you should eat more fruits and veggies.  By this point, we all know how good they are for us.  Decreased risk of cancer, heart disease, and on and on and on.

As for the color, this smoothie will be green in every sense of the word. Don’t let that stop you though! If you are anything like me, the way that something looks is a very important factor in whether or not I will be willing to put it in my mouth. (Yeah, I really went there). There are ways to change the color using different berries, but for your first smoothie, why not go all the way?! If you avoid using a transparent cup, you can even imagine you’re drinking a tropical treat.

Without further ado, here is the first green smoothie recipe for you to try.

1 orange
1 banana
1 cup pineapple (frozen works great!)
1 handful baby spinach
1 cup water

I know, I know.  Spinach in a smoothie.  Oh the HORROR!  C'mon people, it's time to grow a pair!  Try it; you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment