Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Big Green Hump

Happy Hump Day, bloggie peeps!  I've been on a big green smoothie kick this week, and I have a new recipe to share with you.

Lately, it's been all about the bok choy for me.  It's one bad ass vegetable.  Similar taste to baby spinach, perhaps a bit more bitter, but not much.  Like most greens, it's a nutrition powerhouse.  Five leaves of bok choy (about 1 cup, shredded) only contains 9 calories, but provides 104% RDA of vitamin A (as beta-carotene), 35% RDA vitamin C, 27% RDA vitamin K and 12% RDA of folate. When it comes to minerals, five leaves contain 70mg of calcium (7% RDA) and small amounts of most other minerals.

I don't use bok choy a lot, but every few weeks I'll try to get it in the mix.  Below is my favorite bok choy smoothie recipe.  Enjoy!

1 orange
1 frozen banana
1 cup frozen strawberries
¼ cup avocado
2 cups fresh bok choy
1/2 cup water

Blend, drink, repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment