Friday, July 16, 2010

Pre-loading Your Data Tables

It's no secret that I'm a nerd, is it? Maybe it is. I know Muffin Top and I really need to do some kind of "introductory" post at some point since we never really did that. Maybe next week? That way you guys could get to know us a little better. When we started this blog, we really just needed a place to document our insanity, not really realizing that one day we'd have readers. So be on the lookout for a little info next week.

Back to the original point of this post; I'm a total, card-carrying nerd! A tech nerd, that is. [Don't worry, I don't spend weekends locked away with World of Warcraft]. MT and I both work as software developers, so we spend a lot of time behind the computer screen reading blogs coding. I was reading a blog post by Bitchcakes the other day about pre-tracking your food intake, and suddenly that made so much sense to me. I had a total light bulb moment! I actually said out loud, "It's like pre-loading your data tables!!!"

YES!  THIS!!!

See, when you run a program [stay with me here, I'm getting my geek on], a lot of the time you need to pre-load your data tables. Basically, you need to get all the information you'll need to run said program ready ahead of time. So when you need a value, it's already there for you. It leaves less room for error, and it makes your program run more effectively.

HOLY SHIT, I need to pre-track my food!! I always have a general idea of what I'm going to eat for the day, but a lot of times it changes, or I just don't really know WHAT to eat. What would happen if I planned my food out before I was actually ready to eat it? Would I do better if I had a more regimented approach to my food journal? I don't know, but I'm about to find out.

Next week I'm going to give this a try. I need to do less flying by the seat of my pants, and take a more structured approach. NO clue if it will work or backfire, but logically, it should help me stay on track. [If only everything worked out logically, right?] It's something new and different, and I really could stand to mix it up a bit. Also, I'm hoping this will give me more opportunity to get in healthy, non-processed food. Surely if I have more time to plan, I can plan for better food.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming. I'll do my best to reel in the inner nerd now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment