Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Not Everyone Can Take on the SOB

The Siskiyou Outback Run is no joke and sure as hell isn't something you should take lightly. This was obvious when we arrived at the starting area and were surrounded by real runners. The kind who weight next to nothing, have 2% body fat, can sprint for hours on end, do crazy ass warm ups - basically not me and FGS. There were only a handful of "normal" people around, including us.

Of course I use the term "normal" in reference to our physique, not our mental state. Because obviously we are out of our damn minds and enjoy being tortured early Saturday morning.

You might think that the name of the run is just a funny play on words - "SOB", ha ha ha. Yeah. Not so funny when you are facing a vertical accent that makes you whimper for your mommy.

They weren't lying - it was a real S.O.B.!!!

This is where my point of view diverges from Fat Girl Slim's. Yeah, the race was really fucking hard. There were times on that trail where I seriously doubted my ability to take another step. It was physically impossible to walk, let alone run, a lot of it.

But was it a bad idea? Absolutely not.

I proved to myself that I can do it!!! I am more than my jiggly thighs. I am not defined by my poochy stomach. I am, in fact, a bad ass. I ran all the way up and back down a MOUNTAIN! How many people do you know that can say that?

A small part of said mountain
This is part of the reason I love Oregon. Gorgeous!

FGS has no intention of doing this race, ever again, ever! Me, on the other hand, I will be doing it next year - and I will do it in even less time than this year.

Why would I do this? Because, quite simply, I AM A BAD ASS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment