Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Don't Ask Me How Fast I Ran

I am not fast.

That's just how it is. Maybe one day, when I'm in better shape and 25 pounds lighter, that will change. For now though, I'm pleased to just be able to run for 40 minutes straight. I can run THREE miles without stopping. Can I do 8 minute miles? Hell no. But I can keep-on keeping-on.

Did you know that only 10% of Americans are capable of running just one mile? And of that 10% I'm sure not all of them can hold out for 3 miles. So, as far as I'm concerned, I'm one of the few, the proud, the brave. I'm some kind of freaking elite athlete!!!

Me and this dude - were practically twins!

Why the confession you ask? I just want to get it out there, that way people can stop asking me how fast I ran my last 5K. I work with a guy whose wife pulls down 6 1/2 minute per mile averages during marathons. A guy in another depart is training for a 50K (yeah, that's 31 miles!) My boss runs 3 miles every day for his 'warm up' at the gym.

All that is great and I say good for them. But I'm not running against them - the only person I have to beat is myself. I need to know that I've done my absolute best.

So, when people ask we how fast my last 5K was I tell them it was SEVEN minutes faster than last year and that is was THREE minutes faster than my personal best. And for those super annoying and nosey people who can't just stop at that...

How fast is that? Fast enough.

Yeah, you know who you are. BACK OFF!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment